Hello All, Through this article, we can go through some of the commonly asked through questions on what is shared hosting and who can use shared hosting and the security measures available on shared hosting.
Some of the times intermediate people who are in this field of web development also doesn’t have the full knowledge on the basics of shared hosting and always has the confusion on different aspects of shared hosting servers. Especially their backend process and security measures provided by the hosting providers, when to migrate out of shared hosting and all such sort of questions.
In this article, we will also be giving links to various web hosting products of DomainKharido.com, which you can check simultaneously to get more in-depth detail. Don’t worry; there is no compulsion to buy from DomainKharido.com, you can choose your hosting provider as per your criteria and answers which you get from the below article. We recommend you buy from DomainKharido.com, and the links are not affiliated links.
So not wasting much of the time, let’s get into the frequently asked questions on shared hosting. Let’s start with the most basic questions.
Shared Hosting is the easiest & cheapest way to get a Web Space and Presence.
- It is easy because you require no knowledge of any coding language or system architecture to create a fully functional website within just a few clicks and in a few minutes.
- It is cheap because you are sharing a large web server with other users who are also hosting their website in that same server and thereby splitting the cost with them.
To understand Shared Hosting in a better manner, let’s go ahead and see with an example.
Imagine you are renting a flat in a big Apartment / Complex. Even though you are the master of the space between the four walls of your Apartment, you are still sharing essentials services and resources like land, water, and electricity with the other tenants of the Apartment.
Similarly, when you purchase the Shared Hosting, you are sharing the essential service like Compute, Storage, Network, and Database Resources with the other users on that same server.
Now just like a small apartment is a good fit for a family of 4-5 people. Shared Hosting is an ideal product for low to medium-sized websites.
Shared Hosting can be used for Light Weight or Medium-Sized Websites and also Robust sized websites.
Imagine you are a shopkeeper who wants to reach a broader audience by going online. You can quickly deploy your website on a shared hosting product and also use your all product portfolio on it.
If you are a blogger or a photographer who is regularly creating and updating contents, then you host your blog on a shared hosting product and can publish all of your content on it.
- Personal Websites / Resume Website
- Informative Websites
- Blog Websites
- Company / Organisational Corporate Websites
- Portfolio / Catalogue Websites
- Small E-commerce Websites with Payment Functionality
Just like a small apartment is not fit for a family of 20-25 people. Similarly, a shared server is not suitable for a large and heavy kind of website which requires massive computing, abundant storage, or huge databases.
- Big Data Analytics Platforms
- Database Clusters
- Media Storage Websites
- Video/Gaming Streaming Websites.
At DomainKharido.com, you get Industry Standard & Easy to Use Web Hosting Panel with every shared hosting it sells.
Domain Kharido Offers –
- cPanel Panel with Linux Shared Hosting Product.
- Plesk Panel with Windows Shared Hosting Product.
These panels form the cherry on the cake and give value to the Shared Hosting Product. Through these panels, you can create and manage your websites, manage your databases, configure your nameservers, and also your email services. You can also make use of 1-Click application installers like Softaculous to deploy Content Management Systems or CMS’s like Joomla, Drupal, ZenCart, Magento and the industry and world-famous WordPress.
With the Shared Hosting Product and with the Panels provided, you can use Softaculous and Get Your WordPress kind of Blog fully Functional within 10 minutes.
If You are a coder and has your code which you wish to Publish, then you can do so with the help of FTP or SSH, and these will be with the help of services like Apache, PHP, DotNet, IIS, MySQL.
Apart from all these Features what you get is a Robust Support, an option to choose between Multiple Locations for your Hosting Server, Email Management System, DNS Management System (DNS), and also a 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee.
The most frequent question every newbie or a beginner has after knowing that the shared hosting is a large web server and its shared between some users, and how secure is the data and how its protected from other users.
DomainKharido.com, as a web hosting provider, uses the industry-leading web operating system – CLOUDLINUX. CLOUDLINUX helps encapsulate different accounts under different namespaces and file systems also help us optimise the performance of our web services and database services. CLOUDLINUX uses the Open Virtuozzo Kernel, and it supports CENTOS & RHEL Packages. Which means you get the complete package of an RPM Package Manager (RPM Package Manager is a free and open-source package management system) along with a piece of mind of a completely secure environment in a multi shared web server.
Some other Security Features included are CAGEFS. It’s a Virtual File System that essentially encages all the file system or different users in the shared server under separate cages and ensuring that there is no transparency between two different file system. It also ensures that no user can access the central apache config file running on the physical server.
One other security feature is Hardened PHP – Many Users still run their websites on older and deprecated versions of PHP that is not even supported by the community today. It’s a significant security risk because 80% of server-side attacks happen on older versions of PHP. Now Hardened PHP manages and patches all these older versions so that you as customers don’t have to. With this feature, the effort of upgrading the PHP version is also not required. It also prevents from suffering a downtime on your website.
We also offer protection against SymLink Attacks, where unauthorised attacks can access files that do not belong to them.
We also run regular antivirus scans on all our servers across all our datacenters then attempt to identify and blacklist malicious files on different domains.
One common complaint on any shared hosting across the entire world is of a Noisy Neighbour Situation. A Noisy Neighbour situation is when the excess usage of the resources by one user affects the performance of the other users on the same server shared between them. Now, this brings us to the question of Why do we at domainkharido.com have soft limits and what are they?
What are Soft Limits and Why Do We have them?
To address this question lets take an example – where You consider the Large Web Server as an Apartment and the Flat Owners as the Users. Now in the Apartment, if a particular flat owner uses all the water from the main tank, then the other users in the same Apartment are left without water to use. Similarly, if a particular user in a shared hosting server uses the resource like compute, storage or network bandwidth of the webserver then this will grossly affect the performance and effectiveness of the other websites running on the same server.
To tackle the issue, we have imposed soft limits on the above parameters across all accounts on our servers. Now our Soft Limits are lenient enough to make sure that no website is affected. And at the same time gets the best and optimised performance for their speeds and also strict enough to make sure that there is no noisy neighbour situation across any of the physical servers.
How can customers stay below their soft limits?
It’s effortless for a customer to stay below the soft limits and also ensure maximum performance at minimum cost. Few Thumbnail points are as follow:
- Do not store any non-critical emails. Try to download all emails to your local machine via Outlook or any Mail Application.
- Do Not Store any Backups of your Website on Shared Hosting Server.
- Reason 1 – It Occupies Lot of Space.
- Reason 2 – It’s contrary to the Backup Philosophy, where you should not store your primary and backup copy at same server.
- Do Optimise Your Images which you are using for your website. Try to use Optimal Resolution and sizes for all Images.
There are mainly three variants of Shared Hosting and also comes in 2 Flavours.
The three variants of Shared Hosting are:
- Single Domain Hosting
- Multi-Domain Hosting
- Reseller Hosting
The 2 Flavours are the two Operating Systems we offer;
DomainKharido.com also offers Linux Shared Hosting and Windows Shared Hosting invariants of single-domain and multi-domain as mentioned above. Reseller Hosting is also available in Linux & Windows flavours.
After seeing all the products with different variants and flavours, you might have an issue on which product should you choose and what will fit the best for your website. To understand the answer to the question, check the table below:
|Single Domain Hosting||Multi-Domain Hosting||Reseller Hosting|
|Number of Websites||1||Multiple||Multiple|
|Recommended Disk Usage||10GB||30GB||30GB per account|
|Can be Used for Reselling||No||No||Yes|
|Uses Cases||Static Websites / CMS||E-commerce Website / Dynamic Content||CMS / Blog / Small Websites|
|Intended For||Beginners / Small Projects||Bloggers and Small Businesses||Developers and Hosting Businesses|
|Monthly Traffic (Hits)||5000||10,000||5000 – 10000 per account|
Single Domain Hosting
Single Domain Hosting, as the name, suggests the ideal product for hosting one website. The recommended disk usage is 10GB for single domain hosting. The Reselling of single-domain hosting is not possible. The use cases and the monthly traffic hits per month for a single domain hosting is visible in the above chart.
If you have to Host more than one website, then multi-domain hosting is the product for you. The recommended disk usage is 30GB for Multi-Domain Hosting. The multi-domain hosting also can’t be used for reselling. The use cases and the monthly traffic hits per month for a multi-domain hosting is visible in the above chart.
If you wish to resell our shared hosting to your own set of customers, then reseller hosting will satisfy your requirements. The recommended disk usage is 30GB per account for Reseller Hosting. With Every Reseller Hosting Product, you also get a WHMCS License. The reseller hosting package can create an individual account under its package and can server all kind of websites as shown under single and multi-domain hosting. The Reseller Hosting is also available in 2 platforms – Linux Reseller Hosting as well as Windows Reseller Hosting.
What is WHMCS?
WHMCS – WebHost Manager Complete Solution is a client management system software that helps you in the end to end Billing and Invoice Management for your website. It helps you to integrate your Billing Engine from your front end portal to your backend WHM panel. It also helps you in automatically generating and sending invoices to your customers. We give a Free License of WHMCS with every Reseller Hosting Package.
Linux or Windows?
The Next Question everyone has for shared web hosting is which flavour to choose and what’s the best to go for his website?
One crucial thing to remember here is that the choice of this particular OS does not depend on the OS that is running on your local machine. Which means you can purchase a Linux Shared Hosting Product even if you have Windows running on your local computer and vice versa.
Moving ahead with how to choose between these two platforms, check as below
- If your website requires to run on Microsoft technology like IIS, ASP, .net, Ms SQL, then Windows Shared Hosting is the product for you.
- If you are more comfortable with the Open Source technologies, then Linux Shared Hosting is the product for you.
As said earlier, Shared Hosting is the most used and fantastic product for lightweight and small-sized websites. There are some limitations when the business start to scale, and you experience a lot more monthly traffic(hits) on your website. Let me just put some thumbnails over here to make you understand when to move other hosting products offered by hosting providers like DomainKharido.com
- If you have a requirement of sending out more than 1000 Emails/Day outside of your Domain then you should consider moving out your email services out of shared hosting into one of email hosting products and those are
- If you have a requirement of storage more than 30-40 GB of Data on Your Shared Hosting Server or If you have a need and estimate that you will receive more than 8000-10,000 visits per month on your website then you can consider moving to more Powerful Cloud Hosting Server Product.
- If you are somebody who wants root access into their server and wants to decide on installation of which technology/ package/ database, you should consider purchasing a VPS (Virtual Private Server) Product or a Dedicated Server Product.
The best you can do to optimise your website is caching. We Offer 2 Stages of Caching
- Caching on the web server itself using our Varnish Cache plugin. You can cache all your commonly served files, and you will see an instant increase of 30-40% in your speeds.
The other kind of customisation what you can do is to correctly choose the versions of PHP that best suits your website. Who knows the performance and compatibility aspects of your site better than you, which is why we give you a list of PHP versions to choose from our PHP Selector.
One More Healthy Habit what you should have is to monitor the health of your server in general proactively. You can do this with
- AWStats – It helps to continuously monitor services and speeds that your shared hosting account is providing as per the amount of traffic on your website.
- VIRUS SCANNER to proactively scan for malicious files that might have accidentally got installed on your website.
- BOX TRAPPER to eliminate the spam you receive through emails.
The Optimisation Categories we should look are:
- Speed Optimisation – The basic rule to be followed is – have your web pages load within 200 milliseconds. You can track this using various online tools like YSlow or GTmetrix. These tools will give you recommendations that will help you to speed up. Some common suggestions are as follows:
- Minimise the number of HTTP Requests – This is possible by having fewer elements in your webpage or by using CSS scripts instead of images and also not having any Code(scripts) at the bottom of the webpage.
- Avoid Redirects in the Location Field of Your Header
- Leverage the Browser Cache – This is possible by adding a few lines of code in your .htaccess file
- Search Engine Optimisation – This helps you to appear at the top of the results in search engines for your business.
- Identify the keywords related to your business and use it in your permalinks, page titles and contents.
- Use Sub Directories instead of Sub-Domains this will increase your Seo prospect. For example – A webpage with the URL – “www.yourdomain.com/blog” will have a better SEO prospect than the subdomain with the URL – “www.blog.yourdomain.com.”
- Original content on your websites is a must – which can be in the form of articles, blogs, or product information.
- Internal Linking while designing the website will help a lot. Try linking all the internal webpages among themselves, which will help in the user flow and passing the link juice.
- Increase Website Speed – the better the speed is, the better is the SEO prospect.
Don’t Worry if you right now don’t understand these optimisation topics in large at now. With the create your website blog series, we will be covering each question in detail in the coming days ahead.
You can go ahead to DomainKharido.com and check all the products available in the store and choose as per your convenience.
Shared Hosting is the easiest & cheapest way to get Web Space to host all your content of your website. You can choose from the significant variants like Single Domain hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting and from different flavours offered like whether you want it to be Linux or Windows platforms as per the technology you want to install in the server. All the types and variants and flavours mentioned above are available with all major hosting providers, and you can choose from anyone which you feel is the best. We prefer DomainKharido.com and use the same for all our clients and are happy with the kind of services.
I hope this article with dense information on shared hosting has given you a clear understanding and knowledge on how to choose shared hosting provider, shared hosting is best for whom and where to purchase it.
If you liked this article, then please comment below a small review or your thoughts and share this article on social media sites and to your friends.